Monday, March 30, 2009

Oh no not another evangelical christian… Part Four

Thought Nine:

“You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.”

This one I can’t help but agree with as I often find evangelical Christians telling others that God didn’t answer your prayer because it’s not his will. I understand that it may not be his will and that he may have said no, but it really irritates me when someone tells an individual that God didn’t heal their loved one cause it isn’t his will.

Ok, I know I missed a bit what he was saying… I often question as to whether God does actually hear my prayers or not. Lately however I’ve decided to relook at the way I view and understand prayer and I believe that I was given a rather warped view in the churches that I have attended. Perhaps it’s not their fault, perhaps it is, that’s not the point I’m trying to get across. What I am trying to say is that I believe there is a lot of theology based on prayer that a large number of churches for some odd reason are not sharing.

Do you ever struggle to believe in prayer?

Thought Ten:

“You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.”

This is a statement that I agree with whole heartedly. The majority of Christians I know don’t read the Bible. You show me one Christian who reads his/her Bible and I’ll show you ten who don’t. I often have more intellectual conversations about my faith with non-believers than I do with so-called Christians. If you’re a Christian shouldn’t you at least know a bit about your faith?

How often do you read your Bible?

This has been a great series of blogs and I wanted to thank each and every one of you who participated whether it be through the comments or alternatively emails. I’m sure we’ve all learned something special…

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics