Thursday, March 26, 2009

Oh no not another evangelical christian… Part Three

Thought 6:

You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.”

While this is not something I personal do, I know many individuals in the academic world who do. Does it really matter when, where and how the world was made? Don’t we have more important things to deal with? Eg. Extreme Poverty, Homeless People?

In my reading of Jesus’ life, I never saw him arguing over whether the earth was thousands or billions of years old. Rather I read of a Jesus who was interested (and still is) in today, the now.

Do you think this is a necessary argument?

Thought 7:

“You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and ‘loving.’”

Aaah… I think this has got to be the most controversial topic surrounding Evangelical Christianity. Is hell a real physical place, Yes? No? Well, depending on answer (I believe) your views and opinions would vary on this one. Hell will always be ‘hot’ topic of discussion.

What I would suggest here is that we (the evangelical Christians) seriously think about how we go about sharing our faith. Are the people around you aware of the fact that you’re a believer because you told them or are they aware of it because of your actions?

How do you share your faith with others?

Thought 8:

“While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.”

I’m bound to get emails because of this one!

Tongue’s has always been a sensitive area of theology for me personally. I have often been told that I need to revisit my understanding of this gift as the view I hold is the incorrect view.

I don’t think speaking in tongues proves anything to a nonbeliever. If it does prove anything to them, it may be that you’re an idiot rolling around on the floor. No one who is visiting a church for the first time wants to see that kind of thing.

I took a friend of mine to home cell/life group meeting where she was looked down upon because she did not speak in tongues. She was really offended and honestly, I can’t blame her for feeling that way… Can you?

Do you think speaking in tongues is the best way to ‘prove’ Christianity?

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics