Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I've decided that I'm "Going all the Way..."

I’ve decided that I’m going to go all the way… but I’m going to go all the way the correct way. Well, the way I believe is correct and which will more than likely lead towards a healthy and fulfilling marriage. A marriage where not only my parents along with my spouse’s parents will be happy, but I to along with my wife will be happy. So, if you haven’t quite picked up the vibe yet, I’m talking about marriage. Something which not only those outside of the church but those in the church as well sadly don’t understand.

Allow me to put it out there that if there was ever an award for the person who despised the number of books on “Dating” or that Christian word which makes me cringe, “Courting,” I would probably get it. Although I think (along with a mate of mine)… after chatting to a good couple of my close friends and then those acquaintances, no one seems to be interested in these books, yet they seem to popping out faster than then I can say the word dating. This close friend of mine would like to eventually write a book, which I would be honored to co-write. The content of the book is still a work in progress, yet the title is a master piece and we’re sure the book will sell. The title you ask? “I kissed Dating Books Goodbye.”

Now that you have a slight insight into the amount of frustration I have when I see or hear of another dating book hitting the shelves for teens and young adults… I can feel my temperature boiling as I write… Funny enough, when Craig Groeschel sent me a copy of his latest release, “Going All The Way – Preparing for a marriage that goes the distance” I decided to give the book a bash. Being a 26 year old single guy, heading towards marriage, I wasn’t really looking forward to (once again) being told this is how you do it. Yet, when I got into the book and went through it, I was amazed. Craig was real… Something so many other authors miss…

From the very first page you get the sense that Craig is a real guy with real issues like the rest of us…

“Her name was Kelli. She was more beautiful than words could describe. Her tan was perfectly golden. Her blonde hair could’ve starred in any shampoo commercial. Her smile stopped me in my tracks. And her legs… I’ll just say, praise God for legs! Kelli was wildly popular, completely feminine, yet also athletic. Confident, yet humble. Exciting, yet pure. Every guy I knew liked her.

I loved her.” (Pg 1)

Again, as one goes through the book, whilst tackling important issues which some others tackle as well but never really convince me otherwise, Craig has done the job the way it’s meant to be done. For example, the issue of cohabitation or as Craig likes to put it, “Playing house” is one where very many pastors have successfully convinced me as to why one should not “play house.”

If you’re also looking for a decent reasoning then… just read this:

“I, Rick, take you Monica, to be my cohabitant,
To have sex with you and to hold you responsible for half the bills,
To love and take advantage of you,
From this day forward, or as long as our arrangement works out.
I will be more or less, faithful to you,
As long as my needs are met, and if nothing better comes along.
If I should break up with you, it doesn’t mean this wasn’t special to me
Because I love you almost as much as I love myself,
I commit to live with you for a while.
So help me…me
In the name of sex, options and self righteousness, amen”

I’m no professional reporter so I can’t give any high class review, but I will say this: This book challenged me immensely and I will do what ever I can to get others to read it. It is an “Oddly Godly” book, which is just
soaked in scripture. I’m yet to come across another author who is as open and honest as Craig is… I’ve read all of his books and I’m glad I have because it is the same guy through them all… Just a nutty crazy follower of Christ wanting to help his mates along…

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND EVERYONE READ THIS BOOK!!!

Title: Going All The Way – Preparing for a marriage that goes the distance
Author: Craig Groeschel (2007)
Other Titles: Chazown (2006) and Confessions of a Pastor (2006)

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics