Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Our Captain, Our Hansie, Our Captain

I finally did it… I finally watched Hansie (the movie). For a long time I wasn’t to sure if I really wanted to watch the film or not. I had deep childhood memories of my school cricket hero and I didn’t want to damage them further. I wasn’t to sure if I was really ready to hear the whole match fixing story over again. Maybe there was something I missed and that something could damage his image further.

I’m happy to say that was not the case. Rather the film displayed what an honorable man he was. Granted he made some stupid choices, as we all do, but he remained the man he always was… a follower of Christ.

I can still remember the day I sat in front of my TV, tears forming in my eyes as I watched Hansie share his story in and amongst his own tears. That day, Hansie became more of a hero to me than he had ever been.

If you haven’t yet seen it, the film is a remarkable journey through his cricket career, allowing viewers the opportunity to just catch a glimpse of the pain and suffering that he went through. I highly recommend the film. His story is a beautiful story of the reconciliation process between God and man. Where Hansie needed someone to love and hold him, God was there. Unfortunately the public weren’t.

The comments made by the press throughout the film disgusted me and I can not believe that we (the general public and media) acted in the manner we did. Did the cricket board really make such harsh public comments about him as stated in the film?

It seemed so natural for Peter Pollock to share the story of the prodigal son with Hansie when he turned to him for guidance. Where man wanted nothing to do with him (Hansie), God accepted him with open arms…

He is our captain… He is Hansie Cronje

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics