Thursday, September 4, 2008

The heart of McLaren

As many of you know, I am an avid follower of Brian McLaren’s work. He has written many great books which have always challenged me and still do today. Although I don’t always agree with his theological outcomes, I admire his persistence to make ones spirituality their own and not the church as an institution, something so many of us fall into.

Recently labeled as one of the 25 most influential evangelicals in America, McLaren was faced with the question at a recent conference, “What do you think about gay marriage?” He simply replied, “You know what, the thing that breaks my heart is that there's no way I can answer it without hurting someone on either side.”

Should we not have an attitude such as McLaren’s? Are we perhaps to opinionated at times thereby hurting others?

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics