Friday, April 11, 2008

Who are you?

Today marked the beginning of my final New Testament module at college, which happens to be Johannine Writings. Granted I still have 7 weeks left, I think I’m in for a really enjoyable ride. All throughout my New Testament studies I’ve been challenged, tormented, tested, embarrassed, just to mention a few of my many emotions… Biblical studies really have a way of opening ones eyes to what is really there.

Today, once again, I was shown something which has always been there which I have just never realized. Those are always great, but I was shown just how far off course I am with regards to the Biblical example. Those are always challenging hey? Just a simple reminder of much work still needs to be done…

If you’ve never done a study on the “loved disciple” I would highly recommend it. The disciple is only referred to 5 times and all 5 appear within the gospel of John. If you’re wanting textual references, just shout and I’ll pass them on. What really challenged my thinking was how we noticed that Peter was always around when the loved disciple was mentioned (except for one reference). My lecturer, Dr. Wayne Herman suggests that this could possibly be the author’s way of teaching us what a real disciple is to do, in respect to our daily lives. He drew this conclusion from the reactions of both disciples, the loved disciple and Peter. What ever Peter’s actions, the loved disciple would respond differently and more positively. Thus, giving us an idea of what the ideal disciple of Christ would look like… I think more often than not, I’m an exact replica of Peter.

What are your thoughts? Who do you imitate more, Peter or the loved disciple?

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics