Thursday, April 10, 2008

GET SAVED!!!


One of the things I do when I meet people is I ask them, “What is Christianity?” Undoubtedly half will respond, “A relationship with Jesus.”


That is wrong. The gospel cannot be merely a private transaction. God didn’t break through history, through time and space, to come as a babe, be incarnated, and suffer on the cross just so you can come to Him and say, “Oh I accept Jesus and now I can live happily ever after.” That’s not why He came… Jesus came as a radical to turn the world upside down. When we believe it is just about Jesus and yourself, we miss the whole point.

I even dislike using the words “accept Christ” anymore – because it is so much more than that. Christianity is a way of seeing all of life and reality through God’s eyes. That is what Christianity is: a worldview, a system, and a way of life. I believe that when you truly see the gospel in its fullness, it’s so much more. It is the most exciting, radi
cal, revolutionary story ever told.

Taken from “The gospel in its fullness” by Chuck Colson on pages 87 to 88 (unChristian written by David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons.)



What are your thoughts when you read the above passage? Do you think Christians have missed the point and really are all about “getting saved?” Have we missed the point?

2 comments:

Inquisitive Bibliophile said...

I recently read somewhere online (sorry I can't quote my source) that Billy Graham once said that 80-85% of people in the church aren't "saved."

That passage you posted is interesting--I admit, I do define Christianity as [primarily] relational--but I feel like it's a journey--nurturing your own relationship with Christ, growing through what's in the Word, and then eventually trying to use that to impact people, or at the very least, inspire people to start learning about Christ.

To be honest, one part of my faith is intensely private: my prayers. I don't pray over a meal with someone the same way I pray in private, or during LifeGroup. Some things that weigh on my mind I would much rather keep between God and myself.

Oh, and I don't think my accepting Jesus gives me a "happily ever after." I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I think in some ways my life is actually harder now. I find that I'm having to re-evaluate everything I believe (spiritually and otherwise), and scrutinize my own behavior; after all, as Christ-followers we're supposed to be in the world but not of it.

I think the meaning of Christianity has changed, and not necessarily for the better. Historically, of course, Christians were subject to abuse (physical and otherwise) and branded as outcasts--they made a very brave choice to say that their lives weren't their own and that they belonged to Christ. We've gotten far from that, I think; granted, I'm not saying we should all become outcasts, only that we should really consider what it means to call ourselves Christ-followers, and consider the costs before making such a commitment.

My comment is as long as your post--eek! Sorry about that, feel free to delete it after you read lol.

Jason said...

WOW!!! I knew that there were a large number of attendees who were not completely committed, but I had no idea it was anywhere near that size!!! In fact, to be honest, it doesn’t really even seem that unusual. Many Christian’s I know today are what Craig Gross and JR Mann refer to as, “Starving Jesus.” They’re Christians on Sunday, for about an hour or so… maybe two if a guest speaker was invited to the church…

I think Kywanna, that you’ve raised a valid point… the private element of the Christian life is one where I would argue all of the truth behind the relationship lies. For me personally, I find it extremely interesting how Jesus left His disciples to go and spend time with His God. As we know, He was brutally honest. I myself sometimes, more often than not, struggle with being completely honest. However, I do at times seem to put more effort into my prayer when I’m leading a Life Group… Not to try and gain publicity, but merely just to try and get others to focus more on their spiritual lives… Am I being perceived then as someone who is focusing of saving those around me??? I hope not!!!

I’m glad to hear that you don’t expect the happily ever after lifestyle… I get nervous when Christians tell me everything’s fine… I can’t help but wonder to myself, “Are you really living life?” Perhaps they’ve just figured out something spiritually that the two of us haven’t…

Thanks for the comment!!! LOL… no need to worry over length… as long as you’re happy, I’m happy!!!

 
Clicky Web Analytics