Tuesday, April 8, 2008

We need help...


I recently came across an interesting passage in a book titled "unChristian" by David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons. It was a passage which really got me thinking, it seemed that maybe what they had raised was and is a rather important topic to cover or perhaps just ponder over. Christian's are believed to be hypocrites... I know it, you know it... In fact, I've even been referred to as a hypocrite (when I've rightfully deserved to be). I think it's an important issue we need to discuss, considering that 85% of those interviewed between the ages 16 and 29 believe and refer to all Christians as hypocrites... I myself have often referred to Christians as hypocrites...


Below is the passage written by Margaret Feinberg found on pages 62-63. It is a passage which got me really (really) thinking... One can sense her heart striving for that perfection. I want mine to head in that direction as well...She sums up quite nicely how I feel about this horrifying statistic...



Taken from "We need help" by Margret Feinberg


I thought that becoming a follower of Jesus would help me kick the sin habit, providing the inoculation I needed, but in some ways the symptoms just grew worse. I realized how much I was infected and how it was affecting my attitude, my relationships, my life. So the truth is that I’m fighting. I’m fighting sin with everything I’ve got. Some days I fare better than others. Odds are that if you are calling me a hypocrite, then you caught me on one of my worst days.


I am sorry. I’m sorry that I let you down and disappointed you. But the truth is that I ‘m not giving up or letting go. I’ve encountered a God who promises that the battle ends in victory – life instead of death. So call me crazy – but I’m holding onto that promise. I’m also trying to uphold the standards God has set. They’re pretty high, and some days I just find myself laying on the ground, staring at the ceiling. But then I feel an urge, an energy, to get up and fight once again.


I could use your help. The next time you see me behaving like a hypocrite, pull me aside and gently let me know. I’d really appreciate it.






Why is it that Christian's are referred to as hypocrites? What are Christians doing wrong or perhaps I should ask, what are Christian's doing right?

1 comment:

Brennan said...

Hello Jason.

I was looking for Margaret Feinberg's full blog entry when I stumbled upon your blog.

I am on chapter 8 now of the book. Opened my eyes to the challenging realities that Christians face not only in the US but also all over the world. And if I were to answer your last question, it would be worthy of a blog entry in its full length. :)

Take heart. We are not alone in this journey.

Brennan

 
Clicky Web Analytics