Saturday, May 3, 2008

The heart ache of a homeless woman...

This poem was written to the regional officer of Shelter by a homeless woman:

I was hungry,
And you formed a humanities group to discuss my hunger.
I was imprisoned,
And you crept off quietly to your chapel and prayed for my release.
I was naked,
And in your mind you debated the morality of my appearance.
I was sick,
And you knelt and thanked God for your health.
I was homeless,
And you preached to me of the spiritual shelter of the love of God.
I was lonely,
And you left me alone to pray for me.
You seem so holy, so close to God
But I am still very hungry – and lonely – and cold.

(Taken from “Issues facing Christian’s Today” by John Stott – 1984:19)

This poem broke my heart and really got me thinking of what my Christian values are. Am I really portraying the love of Christ, or am I portraying a religion? I felt sick to the core as I realized that I to like the regional officer have been focusing on more than one occasion, being holy rather then actually sharing the love I was so freely given.

How did you immediately feel after reading this poem? What are you portraying? Religion or Christ’s love?

2 comments:

Brandon said...

Unfortunately, I related to some of the parts. They seemed too familiar.

I hope that the compassion of God begins to work through me more. Where I will not be just swayed by all the need in the world because there is more than I can handle alone, but that I would be moved by the need I come in contact with each and every day. To just start there would be huge for me!

Jason said...

I think you summed up my feelings perfectly... thanks B :)

 
Clicky Web Analytics